These switchboard operators in Building 3 handled the phone calls coming into NIH, connecting incoming callers at a time when each office or laboratory had few phones. In 1953, a larger switchboard was added in the Clinical Center. At least they look like they enjoyed their jobs!
Medical illustrator Howard Bartner, now retired from NIH, melded art and biology to create works that informed researchers with meticulous attention to detail. As a student in the medical arts graduate program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Bartner’s first encounter with the cadaver was difficult, but the intricate beauty of the human body fascinated him. During his long career, he drew from original dissections, surgical procedures, and patient examines. For more about his work, see http://history.nih.gov/exhibits/bartner/index.html
In addition to his career at the National Institutes of Health, Bartner was also an Assistant Professor in the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
President Barak Obama greets an audience member after a speech on October 16, 2009, congratulating NIH for getting half of its $10.4 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act appropriation out the door by the end of fiscal year 2009. .
NIH research funding directly supports hundreds of thousands of American jobs and serves as a foundation for the medical innovation sector, which employs 1 million U.S. citizens.
“President Lyndon B. Johnson made at least two visits to NIH during his time in office. The first was in August 9, 1965 when he spoke to more than 2,000 members of the NIH staff from a podium in the front of the Clinical Center. He then signed a law extending for three years the Nation’s Research Facilities Construction Program…. the President spent a half-hour within the Clinical Center including a visit to the sixth floor solarium where was waiting a young boy who had received two artificial heart valves implanted by Andrew G. Morrow, Chief of the Surgery Branch in the National Heart Institute. When background noise created by the assembled dignitaries prevented the President from hearing the sounds of these valves, the Chief Executive stood up and demanded Quiet! Suddenly, the clicking of the valves was immediately audible to all near the site of the Presidential auscultation.
“From left to right: Surgeon General Terry (who first declared cigarettes to be dangerous to your health), Senator Lister Hill (powerful chairman of both the NIH authorizing and appropriating committees in the Congress for thirteen years), President Johnson and the patient, Dr. Andrew G. Morrow, and Dr. Donald S. Fredrickson, Clinical Director of the Heart Institute. The other person in the background is unidentified.”
From the Donald S. Fredrickson Papers at the National Library of Medicine.
Drs. Maxine Singer and Christian Anfinsen discuss the announcement of pending legislation to regulate recombinant DNA research on February 19, 1977. Singer had helped to explain the issues around the recombinant DNA method to Congress, while Anfinsen had won the 1972 Nobel Prize for his work on amino acid sequences and proteins’ final conformations.
Location, location, location! From 1970 to 1978, scholars like Margaret Mead who were visiting NIH stayed on the second floor of this lovely home, “Stone House,” right on the NIH campus. In 1930, the Reverend George Freeland Peter, built his home with an extensive rose garden next door to the estate called Tree Tops, which became home to the NIH in 1937. In 1949, NIH acquired this wonderful property which is now called the Lawton Chiles International House.
Lawton Chiles (1930-1998) served Florida in the U.S. Senate from 1970 to 1989. While there, he was on the Special Committee on Aging and the Senate Appropriations Committee. Throughout his long political career (he earlier served in the Florida State House and Senate and later as governor of Florida), he was an advocate of health care and NIH’s biomedical research.
U.S. Presidents visit NIH to hear about the latest research, meet staff and patients, and make policy statements. When George W. Bush visited on January 15, 2005, for a town meeting, the NIH Record noted how Bush put everyone at ease, “He is not unlike Johnny Carson in his comic timing.”
Bush visited NIH several times during his presidency. During this particular town meeting, he met and a panel of five citizens talked about Health Savings Accounts (HAS).
This is our version of “Where’s Waldo?” It’s “Where’s Building 1?”
NIH grew quite a bit between 1949, when staff could play baseball behind the U-shaped Building 1, and 2004, when the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center was being constructed. Can you find Building 1 in the second photo? It’s still in the middle—you can see the white portico.
Ironically, as the NIH campus at Bethesda went from pastoral scientific Eden to modern university-like campus, its responsibilities actually decreased. When NIH moved to Bethesda in 1938, it performed many of the same functions that the Food and Drug Administration, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Occupational Health and Safety Administration, and Environmental Protection Agency do today. Now the NIH focuses on biomedical research that impacts human health, from basic science to clinical practice.
You can check out our other aerial photos to look for Building 1 at http://bit.ly/ZWFPHG
This experimental Kodak Impulse Laser was tested in 1968 by NCI scientists Drs. Grant C. Riggle, Robert C. Hoye and Alfred S. Ketcham to determine its effects on normal and cancerous tissue. They found that it was not only ineffective at removing all the tissue in the impact area, but that it disseminated viable tumor cells as a result of the impact. Later refinements in laser technology have created valuable surgical tools, especially for retinal procedures.